Sunday, February 20, 2011

Copyright Choices: Walking the Thin Line

Without a doubt, the web has made posting, downloading, and remixing copyrighted content infinitely easier, and as internet users, we've all probably been guilty of this act, though in an unintentional way.

According to Lessig, "Creative work has value; whenever I use, or take, or build upon the creative work of others, I am taking from them something of value. Whenever I take something of value from someone else, I should have their permission. The taking of something of value from someone else without permission is wrong. It is a form of piracy."

Although "borrowing" or "misusing" content already created by someone can be a great pain to copyright owners and corporations, the internet almost gives a person complete freedom to do it. I think it's harmful if someone is intentionally trying to steal someone else's work to make profit, but if someone just wanted to add some sad music to a Facebook tribute video of a deceased friend, then should they really be held accountable? I think it all depends.

When looking at both sides of the coin, I feel that someone who wants to use copyrighted material in a video or other work should be granted to chance to do so under the type of work that they are doing. Take my tribute video example, a person who wants to make a remembrance video of a friend and add some music to it should be able to do so. Think of the video as being a different kind of fundraiser, advertisement, or general cause that other caring people would support. Going further, it's a moral issue. As someone who owns copyrighted material, the issue changes because this person is focused on getting paid and may not care about some random tribute video, but once again, the issue of morality plays a part here.

Personally, it's difficult for me to take a side because people who own copyrighted material have the RIGHT to be paid if their music or content is being used by someone else. At the same time, internet users should have the right of Fair Use, that is, to use material in a manner that doesn't allow them to make money, rather in a more secondary way. I feel that the copyright law as it stands is fair, but it's extremely difficult to ensure everyone is following it, especially with regards to the web since millions of people use the internet and the government can't possibly track every instance of copyright violation.

In the end, the internet does harm copyright owners and their livelihoods, but I think it enhances creative industries like music and movies. Since people are aiming to share this content, it's basically a form of advertisement for music and movies from a different standpoint. Copyright and Fair Use are on opposite sides of a thin line, but since it's so easy to cross it, I'm unsure of whether this issue can be completely taken care of.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that copyright owners and their livelihoods are harmed by the internet and all the advancements that are taking place on the web. Also, with the whole advertising aspect of copyrighted materials, I never really realized or thought of this. It does help advertise for the music and movie industries and it can possibly convince someone to actually go out and buy material of a certain artist, band, or actor. I also agree that copyright and fair use are close together on the opposite and I realize how easy it is to cross. I doubt that there will ever be a system that helps contain these two and split the differences even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Eric. It is a good way of advertising. I never looked it at that way before, but you make a really good point. It ends up being free advertising for these artists and people can view the content for free before deciding if they are willing to spend the money on it. Good post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for sharing, borrowing, and using these materials. When profit comes into question that is becomes an issue. Tributes, Youtube videos, soundtracks for Indie or class films should all be fair game. Mash-ups, and remixes are tough, but who am I to judge..Free is my favorite word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the comments and conversation.

    ReplyDelete