Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Multitasking Never Worked For Me



As I listened to the NPR talk about multitasking, I found myself once again failing to do so.  I was trying to take notes, listen, text, and read tweets.  I found myself continuously having to rewind the recording to catch things that I missed.  I always try to do more things at once, but I lack in efficiency when I do.  I envy those who can watch TV while holding a conversation with me, and still remember the things I’ve said.  I fit the norm.  According to John Hamilton, “the human brain is designed to do one thing at a time.”  However, Daniel Wiseman said that the best multitaskers are in the college age group.  Looks like I don’t make the cut.

This makes me want this sort of intelligence augmentation mentioned in the article “Get Smarter.”  Why wouldn’t I want to improve my ability to do more when time is usually not on our side?  Even with time management, it seems like we completely run out of time.  That’s why drugs like Adderall are so prevalent with college students.  We need to feel more efficient.  We need to focus.

“When you check your information or get a ring or buzz, you get a dopamine squirt.  You get a little rush of adrenaline.  In its absence, you feel bored.”
-Matt Richtel, “Price of Putting ‘Your Brain on Computers’”

How will we ever focus with so many distractions?  I sort of think we won’t ever evolve to all of our distractions even though technology is so much a part of our lives.  So we will continue to miss some things when we text while holding a conversation while eating while doing homework.  I know I do.  That blinking light on my phone right now is a distraction as a type.  I’m pressured to finish this sentence before the text takes over my thought process.

1 comment:

  1. Sydney,

    I think it is truly impossible to multitask. I bought a lap top this semester specifically to take notes. Yeah, that turned into tweeting, facebook, game informer, shopping lists. I find myself when attempting to multitask completely zoning out. I can't text and drive, I can barley chew gum and walk. There are way to many distractions to honestly focus on one thing. Funny you mention the Adderall thing. My roommate and his gf offered me some last week, stating "oh yeah man you will be able to concentrate for hours." I declined...I just put my phone away and locked myself away..Much easier than relying on drugs! Drugs are for recreation not concentration! PS I wrote that last line! HAHAHHAHA (Rudy DeSantis)

    ReplyDelete