Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Facebook, Synergy and Revolution.

If there were two words I didn’t think would ever go together they would certainly be Facebook and revolution; particularly, revolution in the violent, social upheaval definition of the word. Facebook isn’t supposed to be an agent for social change; it’s where I post pictures of family, my SUV, my vacations, and all the wonderful things it means to be me. It’s supposed to be my official brag to the world page, isn’t it?

Well, in Egypt the internet was shut down for several days to prevent the coordination of massive antigovernment rallies, which were being coordinated via Facebook and other sites. How did this happen? Is it the technology that’s causing this revolution, or was the revolution going to happen anyway, and the technology is just helping to facilitate it?

I’d have to say that the answer is a little of both. While a 30 year long dictatorship will certainly sow seeds of dissent within a population, unless there is some sort of organizing agent to focus and direct these voices of dissent, not much will happen. What’s fascinating to me, in this case we have several seemingly unrelated issues, that when added together, cause the whole to be greater than the sum of their parts – a truly unique synergistic combination of events.

If we look at the two pieces of the puzzle as discrete technologies, we can see an amazing transformation has taken place. The internet – a mass of interconnected computer networks, and Facebook – a website that allows users customize their own little corner of cyber space. Nothing about either technology screams revolution; on the contrary, both seem equally innocuous. The Egyptians are taking both of these technologies and are using them in conjunction with each other to change their own destiny. Now, as I write this, I hear that more countries in the Middle East are experiencing some unrest as well and they are using the internet, Facebook, and even Twitter to help rally others to their cause.

I’m very interested in seeing if the balance of power in the Middle East is going to shift as people now have more access to technologies to inform themselves and organize themselves.

“At our computer club, we talked about it being a revolution. Computers were going to belong to everyone, and give us power, and free us from the people who owned computers and all that stuff.” – Steve Wozniak –

1 comment:

  1. Hard to imagine that Facebook can cause or start a revolution. Look at it this way...I post "Party at my house!" as a status update. Twenty minutes later my house is packed and people are shotgunning beers off the porch. Works the same way in Egypt. "Meeting at the square in 10 minutes, who's coming with me?" Six people show up, and a few hours later it turns into 2 million. Here's the difference...Friends, and friends of friends are the ones that are gonna be at my party. Not to big of an issue other than a few randoms breaking glasses. When facebook is used to demonstrate...That's when the government gets involved...Meaning, not only will the 6 protesters show up, but the cops, and the Egyptian government among others...They can easily read facebook as you and I could post...We should all get used to it, in fact I plan on tying myself to the local abortion clinic. Don't worry I will tweet directions!

    ReplyDelete