Sunday, January 30, 2011

Who's tracking whom?


When you visit a website like "Facebook" and search or look up things, did you know they are keeping track of that? Well they are, they keep track of it so that they can know what to advertise to you. They say it's better that way so you get "personalized" advertisements, but is it really? I mean let's say you put single for your relationship status, then the next time you log on the ads on the side of the page are all for "LOCAL SINGLES IN YOUR AREA."

I think it's fair game, I mean if you choose to use the service and input the information your giving it away then. It's just like telemarketers with phones, if you choose to use the service you gotta deal with the possible annoyances or consequences.

I've noticed though that some things aren't as they seem. For example I looked at my own Facebook and noticed that I had "given permission" to 161 applications to track what I look up, "like" or input. I didn't realize I allowed them to do that and each application is owned by a different company which may allow other to see what I like and advertise to me.

Other sites you visit can do the same thing. Let's say you go to google.com and search something which takes you to youtube.com. Now both google and youtube know what you were searching. Then you post the youtube link onto Facebook and now Google, Youtube, and Facebook know what you looked up on which site and now have access to your facebook and can see that you shared the link. The different websites can know "interact" and come up with advertisements to show you on the other websites. It's just a never ending loop.

1 comment:

  1. wow the same situation with me with the facebook apps ! i had no idea. i went in and deleted SO many. but its like still at that point theyve got what they needed i think.

    honestly i think its a genius idea they came up with. n i agree it is fair game, even tho it can get a bit creepy and surprising at points.

    ReplyDelete